New monitor and login problem

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Feb 23 15:51:05 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:

>>>Well, Anne, how can I run xfdrake if I cannot do my login?
>>>

>>I assume that linux is actually booting up, but that you can't see the screen,
>>so when the lilo screen opens, hit Esc and you should see a text login
>>screen.  Type 'linux 3' and that will give you a text login.  From there you
>>should be able to run XFdrake.
>>

>Thanks, Anne, for your suggestion. However, I am using grub and not
>lilo. With grub the directions are?
>
>Paul

    Paul:
    To alter GRUB you can simply hit the 'a' key when you see the grub
screen.  This allows you to append the kernel line, Just add a '3' to
the end of the line, and Mandrake should start in run level 3.
    When done running xfdrake, you can either re-boot (you won't need to
re-edit grub), or 'init 5' to your normal X session.

Scott