Hard drive cable question -

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 19:58:56 UTC 2006

Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:39:13 +1030, Tim wrote
>
>>On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:12 +1100, Wolfgang Gill wrote:
>>
>>>Nope it doesn't matter. Drive selects are done with jumpers on the
>>>drive. All IDE 40/80 pin cables are straight through, so the drive
>>>itself govens whether it's master or slave. When I only have one
>>>drive, I use the middle connector, and hide the other one out of the
>>>way, to give me better casing air flow.
>>
>>That is just so much misleading, not to mention outright wrong,
>>information.  Kindly stop leading people down the garden path.
>

> Misleading?? That wasn't misleading at all!! And I'M NOT leading people up the
> garden path. I've build literally 10,000 of machines (Probably more, lost

Hmm. Lessee, working 333 1/3 days per year, that's 3 years for 1000
days. So, you've been building one machine per day for the last 30
years. No, you've been building ten machines a day for the last 3 years,
not taking weekends off.

Hmm. Pretty busy lately?

> count after the first 1000 or so). And only 1% have failed due to hardware
> faults, and cabling wasn't one of them. It's NO use to explain things into
> GREAT detail to people that have little understanding of the concepts as it
> is, and confuse them even more. And as I understand it, the original poster
> has solved it, so it not necessary to slag everyone that tries to help.

Well, ok, fine. Let's not get personal here. This is degenerating
into a Flammfest.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.