What do you think of Centos

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Feb 23 23:01:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Louis Lagendijk wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 23:54 -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>
>> CentOS is taking a distribution created via someone else's hard work
>> and rebranding it as their own.  They're essentially relying on Red
>> Hat Software, Inc., for all their distribution and release
>> engineering.  I don't care for that.
>>
> Chris, this is not accurate: I understood that Centos is providing RHEL
> type of distributions for platforms not supported by RH. I believe that
> Sun Sparc fits in this category as well as the power pc architecture

ppc32 fits this category.  RHEL offers a ppc64 version.  We are running it
on a cluster here.  CentOS also offers an Alpha version in this category.

CentOS does overlap RHEL in i386, x86_64, ia64.  CentOS offers s390.  I
thought RH did as well, but I don't see it in RHN channels.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu