FC4: which tool to dump ext3 file systems while keeping ext_attr and context information

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Feb 24 09:13:20 UTC 2006

Date sent:      	Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:54:46 -0800 (PST)
From:           	Robinson Tiemuqinke <hahaha_30k at yahoo.com>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject:        	FC4: which tool to dump ext3 file systems while keeping ext_attr
	and context information
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> Hi,
>
>  Any can help me choose a tool to backup ext3 file
> systems on FC4? gtar, star? dump?
>
>  It's rumored that the gnu tar is not good at saving
> extended file system information, while I need to save
> not only file system's data, but also extented
> information like ACL, context, etc.
>
> Thanks a lot.

What kind of backup are you planning and how often?
G4L is a project that does a backup of a disk or partition. It uses dd
compression and ftp. I use it to image my systems, with 98, XP and FC3 or
FC4. It currently takes about 1 hour to image the 80GB drive with all three
OS's into a 13GB file. Takes about the same time to restore. Since it uses
dd, it copies all information. The machine needs to be booted from the G4L
cd, so the system isn't available during that time.

Another program you could look at is g4u, but it is a similar program using
netbsd instead of linux.

Another option that might be possible is partimage, but don't know if it would
support the setup since it doesn't appear to be active.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC Seti at Home Total Credits 463436.064289