samba shares in FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Feb 24 13:09:03 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 24 February 2006 02:29, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
>
>>I am trying to share a directory in FC4. readable and writable to everyone.
>>
>>The directory is /data/public : 2777 root:root. It is an ext3 partition.
>>
>>This is my smb.conf:
>>
>>[global]
>>        workgroup = HOMENETWORK
>>        netbios name = server
>>        server string = Samba Server
>>        security = SHARE
>>        guest account = guest
>>        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0/24
>>        hosts deny = 192.168.0.1/24
>>
>>[public]
>>        comment = Public Stuff
>>        path = /data/public
>>        read only = No
>>        guest ok - Yes
>>

>>I am able to browse the server but when I open the share public I get an
>>error that the directory doesn't exist.
>>
>>The /data directory is a ext3 partition. I am able to share a directory in
>>the / partition with no problems.
>>
>>I am stumped. --Louis
>

> Thre may be some connection with a similar problem that I have.  I get the
> same 'does not exist' message when I try to access 'homes'.  I do have a
> public directory underneath my /home on the server, and I can access that,
> then go up a level to the /home/anne that should have been available as
> 'homes'.

Is the username you are using on the client the same as the one on the
server? If not, you might try mapping them in /etc/samba/smbusers, e.g.:

server-username = client-username
anne            = anne-wilson

with an appropriate "username map = /etc/samba/smbusers" directive in
smb.conf of course.

Paul.