Signals

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 27 10:27:39 UTC 2006

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

>Hi ALL
>
>How do I capture SIGNALS on Linux Box using a script means to say that

"signal" is a technical term un Unix with a meaning different from what
I think you mean.

>my Linux box is up or down or rebooted or crashed so that it will send
>a mail to me saying that the machine is down or rebooted

You can use a package called "mon" to monitor services (including on
other systems) to see what's running and to detect problems.

To detect when a system's rebooted, just add a script to /etc/init.d
(use others as a guide) to send you email when it's run. Don't forget to
enable it using chkconfig.