SMART error and K3B issues

Marcin Struzak marcin-list at struzak.com
Mon Feb 27 18:44:28 UTC 2006

Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 things here that are bugging me a little bit, first one is I'm
> starting to get some SMART errors in my logs. Just a bunch of these:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
> Should I be worried that my HD is gonna die soon?

Maybe.  What does smartctl say?  Check the attributes, run an extended
test and see if it fails.  If it is consistently complaining, get a
bootable tool diskette from your HD's manufacturer, and run the included
test.  If your disk is still under warranty (1 or 3 years since
purchased), they will replace it for you.

--Marcin