Newbie Questions

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Feb 27 23:55:04 UTC 2006

Timothy Brooks writes:

> Do I need to burn the .iso files to CDs?  I understand you cannot just copy
> these files, that they need to be copied as .iso images, correct?

Correct.

>                                                                   What does
> what I just said mean?  Copy as an "image".  Is there a setting in my CD
> burning program that I need to use?

There is, but, obviously, the exact name of the setting varies from program
to program.  Look for any option in your CD burning software that refers to
a "raw image" or an "iso image".

> Does Fedora have programs with it?  Does it include a browser or program to
> check email?  Word processing?

Yes, but 128MB RAM is going to be a tight fit.

You'll need at least 4GB space to install Fedora.  Fedora itself takes up
about 1.5 gig, and you need some breathing room.

If your existing Win98 system takes up the entire hard drive, you'll need to
use some Win98-based software to resize your Win98 partition and free up
some hard disk space, before attempting to install Fedora.

Once you install Fedora you will have a menu come up at boot that will
prompt you to boot Win98 or Fedora.

There's always a small chance, especially if you're a newbie, and especially
with oddball hardware, that something can get screwed up during the install
and you won't be able to boot anything.

Therefore, I suggest that you copy all files you valu, and save them
someplace else.  Newbies are always better off playing with Linux on a
disposable box that they don't mind blowing away.