Suspend and shutdown

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 28 23:32:59 UTC 2006

Uno Engborg wrote:
> In FC5T3 all users have the menus "Shut down..." and "Suspend" in their
> Gnome "Desktop" menu, and if they select it the  shutdown or suspend
> happens without asking the user for
> a root password.
>

> This is awful in multi user environments, or when remote desktops are used.
> Is there some easy way of turning this off?
> Is this the default Gnome 2.14 behavior?
>
> At the very least the user shoould be prompted for a root or even better
> a sudo password before he is allowed to do this.  It also creates far
> too many menu items in the Desktop menu that are very similar. The old
> FC4 way of doing this was much better from a usability perspective.

I don't know about FC4, but it's long been the case that users with
console access could shutdown or reboot the system.

To the best of my recollection, KDM and such have a configurable option
to allow remote users to shutdown/reboot, with the default being that
they cannot.

If the behaviour is different in proposed FC5, I suggest a bug report.