is evolution really dependent on spamassassin?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 1 13:54:16 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> Then, if I want to, I can load the required files onto my system.

Michael A. Peters:
> Disk space is cheap and it is less problematic to just have it.

Until you find that dozens, or hundreds, of files all play the same
game, wanting a plethora more themselves, and likewise for their
grandchildren (I've got this hulking great behemoth of a program,
Mozilla, that I don't use, simple because Yelp wants it, and so on).  So
you spend ages installing, downloading, updating...

Or, one of the things that you don't want seems to have problems.
Spamassassin does look like the likely culprit for my problems:  While
using Evolution, it does masses of DNS lookups.  It shouldn't have to.
I'm not reading HTML mail, I'm not loading images in HTML mail.  I'm not
deliberately filtering against spam, only using mail rules based on some
headers having some contents being moved to some folders.  Yet, I see
DNS lookups being logged that are associated with addresses written
somewhere in the messages.

The obvious way to work this out / resolve the cause, would be to remove
spamassassin, but I can't.  I had considered forcing it out, but as
someone's pointed out, it might bork Evolution in the process.

I'm sure that there's any number of people who dislike spamassassin, and
would rather use something else, but this is a bit of a lock-in.

I read messages from the public lists.