US Language dictionary and OOo

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 2 16:27:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 15:32 +0000, Paul wrote:

> Is there any way that I can switch off US English from being the default
> dictionary - it's annoying the crap out of me and the option is greyed
> out (which it shouldn't be IMO) under options so I can change it that
> way.

I don't have that problem (it's not greyed out, and I don't keep getting
US-Engish), but then I've installed languages other just US-English (if
I recall correctly), set my Linux system-wide locale/language options,
and went through the "language" and "writing aids" "options" section of
OOo and unticked any languages I don't want/use.

If I type something like, "what colour is color?" into the word
processor, I get the wrong (American) spelling highlighted as being
wrong, and no protests about the right (Australian) spelling.

I don't use auto-hyphenation, I don't like the idea, so I've never
checked if does its job right.  And I so rarely use a thesaurus I can't
recall how well it worked, though just testing it I see if offers up
"publicize" as a meaning (verb) for "advertise".  It's using the
Australian thesaurus, so it should offer "publicise".  It does the same
trick with "colour" (all the offering's spell it incorrectly as
"color").  I seem to recall reading there's some idiotic kludge to fake
the US Thesauras as other language ones, for those that don't have their
own.

By the way, what is that thing in your signature?

I read messages from the public lists.