lvm lvrename on Fedora Core 4

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 9 02:08:37 UTC 2006

On my shiny new FC4 system, mount reports this device to be mounted on
root "/":

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00

And I assume that this is most of my hard drive except for /boot (which
is /dev/sda1) and swap. Would renaming this with 'lvm lvrename' offer me
any benefit? For example rename it to

/dev/mapper/VolGroup05-LogVol10

My previous FC4 system has an LVM spanning 2 physical disks and it is
going to be truly inconvenient to mount these disks on my current system
and get at the contents of the data on them. I've forgotten to back up
several important files to a DVD before doing a hardware upgrade that
includes using only one Great Big Hard Drive, and I'm feeling the pain.

So would renaming my current LVM make it easier to get my old drives
(which are currently sitting around unused) mounted and accessible?

Thanks

Bob Cochran