Runnning YUM via cron

Scot McConnaughay scotmcc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:58:47 UTC 2006

I believe that '#yum -y update' will allow yum to run updates unattended :)

If you are brave enough... It has been my experience that SOME packages
COULD cause problems, so I like to do this manually also.

Scot

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 11:34 +0100, Arne Drechsler wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> is it a good idea to have yum run automatically every night ? Since it
>> also updates things like sql server and this sometimes causes trouble
>> I'm wondering wether it is a good idea. Anybody has good/bad experience
>> with it ? Are there solutions to have yum run savely and not touch any
>> running things or rewrite configs ?
>

> My experience is: No, this isn't a good idea. Neither yum, nor the
> repos, nor the rpm are in a shape to leave yum running unattended.
>
> /me ducks and waits for flames ;)
>
> Ralf

Isn't there the Problem, that you have to submit the updating of packages?
Therefor you would have to run a script.
Or maybe there is a switch to tell yum not to ask.
But I'd think the question is not there for nothing.

--
Scot McConnaughay
scotmcc at gmail.com
970-576-0978