Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 13:45:00 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> Fdisk /mbr will NOT install the needed ntldr on the boot sector
> (although it is all that is needed for win98).

In my experience, ntldr doesn't go on the MBR anyway: it goes on the
boot sector of the appropriate partition. All that NT needs from the MBR
is for it to chain the appropriate boot sector.

That's why you can put grub in the MBR and ntldr in the bootsector of
C:, and have them both work.

> Instead you will need to boot to rescue/repair mode from the 2000/XP
> install CD and then run the FIXMBR command to put the ntldr on the boot
> sector.

That will remove grub from the MBR, replacing it with a simple Microsoft
one that will use the ntldr that's already there.

See, for example, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q140418/ or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q114841/

Fedora, by default, puts grub on the MBR, although it can go elsewhere:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch-bootloader.html

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | (a) The Spanish Armadillo,