Network Startup Error Message

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Jan 12 21:43:41 UTC 2006

<snip>

> > When I restart my PC I am getting an on screen
> message
> > that I don't see in any of the logs.
> >
> > It brings up eth1 which is my LAN connection. The
> > message is:
> > Bringing up eth1, can't change name of eth0 to eth1:
> > name exists.
> > Not sure what is going on here. Everything seems to
> > work.
> > Suggestions?
> Do you have ab eth0 interface on your machine? What is
> it supposed to
> be connected to? Sounds like a configuration problem
> problem that can
> be solved by either using: system-config-network
> or mucking around with the files
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx where x=0 or
> 1.
>
> I have eth0; that is my internet interface. Why is it
> trying to change the name from eth0 to eth1?

I don't really know but information on your network connections are
contained in the files: /etc/sysconfig/network,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and

If for example the first line in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. for example, said:
DEVICE=eth1 I would expect you would get the error you describe.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484