Bluetooth wireless Question

Kevin Verma kevinverma at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 12:33:34 UTC 2006

Micheal,

I hope your bluetooth dongle hardware is compatible with Linux, there
are good chances. So plug it in to the usb port of your notebook. Once
you plugged in the dongle, please run the command /usr/sbin/hciconfig
to ensure your bluetooth dongle in now accepted and active with the
hotplug system. Out put will be something like as below, notice you
will see the proper mac address.

hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:39:36:04:65:34 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 48:10
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
        RX bytes:107 acl:0 sco:0 events:14 errors:0
        TX bytes:303 acl:0 sco:0 commands:14 errors:0

Basically two of the service scripts are involved and their related
setup, the service scripts in question are: /etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth
and(if_required_read_below) /etc/rc.d/init.d/dund

If you have pairing problems of Bluetooth-PC with other Bluetooth
devices in range, you might want to suspect DBUS system un-ability and
then need to make changes in file /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf :
replace_line : dbus_pin_helper;
replace_with : pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin;
then execute command /sbin/service bluetooth restart
next try pairing again.

Thats enough as short and sweet for (1) below, else keep reading if
you have other requirements.
--
Here the scripts in question also depends on what you want to do with
the bluetooth dongle device attached on to the PC:

1) You require basic Obex (File Transfer) functionality,
- So if your dongle is now detected as in output of hciconfig, the
service script concerned in /etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth and you'll also
need to execute gnome-obex-server from the run-prompt or terminal,
while you are logged on to a X (GUI) session.
- To send files from a bluetooth device choose to send file to PC as
detected in range by the device e.g your PDA or mobile phone.
- If you need send files from the PC to a bluetooth device run
gnome-obex-send /path/to/file

2) You have a GPRS or CDMA phone you want to use as a modem to your PC,
- You will need to run command /usr/bin/hcitool scan and identify your
modem device form the output as for e.g: 00:0J:EJ:9A:A2:AB       T630
, so note the MAC addess of the modem device
- Edit the file /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf , in the file look for
block rfcomm0 , and change the sample MAC address with the mac address
of your Bluetooth modem device then run command /sbin/service
bluetooth restart
- Ensure your Bluetooth modem has its bluetooth status as on, then run
command /usr/bin/rfcomm -a ensure it has been binded to the PC this
should be binded to rfcomm0 and a device node rfcomm0 will also be
found in /dev directory as /dev/rfcomm0 , you might like to test if
this modem is found by wvdial,
- To test with wvdial, I suggest create a temporary softlink to
/dec/rfcomm0 as /dev/modem and run command /usr/bin/wvdialconf
/tmp/wvdial.conf

I hope  this is quiet much for now, please let me know if perhaps you
need a dial-in for your PDA or other bluetooth PC.

Cheers,

on your system you will like to ensure those start up in your desired
system runlevels, I assume 3 & 5 as:
/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 bluetooth on
/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 dund on