Procmail filtering

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 15:46:46 UTC 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Sa, den 14.01.2006 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 16:31:
>

>>I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting procmail to filter e mails
>>to individual mailboxes on my FC4 machine.
>>
>>I am using fetchmail to poll my email to my machine and I want to use
>>procmail rather my then my mail client to filter my e mail.  I don't
>>have many mailboxes but I change machines often enough that its hard to
>>keep updating my mail client filters.
>>
>>When I tail my mail.log file it does show that .fetchmail is looking at
>>my .forward file in my home directory so I am assuming that there is an
>>issue with the syntax of my .procmailrc file.  Im new to using procmail
>>so I copied and pasted some procmail examples into my .procmailrc file
>>and gave it a whirl but no luck.
>>
>>Any help is appreciated..
>>

>>Here are what I have in my files:
>>
>>.forward:
>>
>>"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #myusername"
>>

>Why that kind of call? I assume you run  local MTA, which is Sendmail.
>Correct? Then Procmail is called automatically and you don't need to use
>a .forward for this.

I have gotten rid of my .forward file so this is not out of the picture.

>>.procmailrc:
>>
>># .procmailrc
>># routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
>>VERBOSE=off
>>

>Why off? You are debugging, so use the power of logging verbosely.

I turned this on so that I can start debugging.  I have not taken a look
until Im sure that I have set up my .procmailrc file reasonably ok.

>>MAILDIR=~/mail/IMAP #elm users might use $HOME/Mail instead
>>

>^^^ ? Really intended?
>Be aware that "MAILDIR" does not imply to get Maildir format storage.

I took a look at the man page and this doesn't seem to be related to the
MailDir format of the mailbox.  The insert says
**MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail      #you'd better make sure it exists**
Which makes me think based on the location, it wants me to specify the
directory where the mailboxes are stored that I want to send mail to via
procmail.

>>#PMDIR=~/.procmail
>>DEFAULT=/var/mail/username
>>

>/var/spool/mail/<user> | /var/mail/<user> is the default INBOX spool, no
>need to set that explicitly.

I have commented this out.

>>LOGFILE=~/procmail.log
>>

>Look into your logfile for analyzing.
>

>>#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/default.rc
>>#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/general.rc
>>#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lists.rc
>>#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/guestbook.rc
>>#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/spam.rc
>>
>># Put mail from mailing lists into mailboxs
>>:0:
>>* ^Subject:.*[Subject]
>>

>You have to escape special signs like "]".

I have escaped the entire subject so now it reads:

* ^Subject:.*"[Subject]"