Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 17 22:55:08 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 15:34, John Summerfied wrote:
>

>>The current policy of retiring an FC release immediately _before_ the
>>release of the second subsequent release seems completely bizarre to me.
>

> It is really in no one's best interest to have developers wasting
> their time backporting fixes and updates into an old distribution.

If Rahul is right there aren't any, so the workload won't be great. If
he's wrong (as I expect) there won't be many, and still thr workload's
not great.

> If you want updates, everyone is better off if you move on to the
> next version, and a policy that encourages this makes a lot of
> sense.  In theory, FC4 should be very well tested and reliable by
> now and FC5 should be usable if you don't mind a surprise or two.

I'm content to move to FC5, but it's not even released yet, and that is
the point of the argument.

> It is also next to no trouble to update your yum configuration
> to pull from the legacy repository (much less than complaining
> about it...).  My only concern in this issue is for the large

If FP listens, then it can solve the problem for a lot more than one
person for a lot more (we hope) than one release.

Any time anyone makes any changes to any file, there is some likelihood
of getting it wrong, and if a hundred people make changes to their own
copies, then its almost certain that someone will do exactly that.

> number of machines whose administrators don't watch the mail list
> and won't be aware of the need to change.  When the next security
> problem and fix come around they won't get the fix even if they
> continue to run their updates.

There is that too.

--

Cheers