'GPL encumbrance problems'

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jan 18 01:37:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 12:20 -0800, jdow wrote:
> From: "Andy Green" <andy at warmcat.com>
>
> Andy, I am a software developer by trade. I use it to earn my daily bread
> and board. If I develop in an environment that involves GPL I cannot see a
> model that will continue to feed me and house me unless I take up a side
> job asking, "Do you want to supersize that, sir?" or sit at my own help
> desk all day instead of developing. GPL contaminates things too thoroughly.
> I am not a lawyer. I just read that document and basically stay away from
> GPL except for some recreational coding I've done.

There are many entities that are making mega$ in providing services in
support of GPL software.  The GPL license does not mean everything is
free and does not prevent use of GPL software in commercial usage.
It does have certain limitations on what you can/can not do with it, and
certainly switches the main scenario from "pay for the software" to "pay
for support"
IANAL either, but there are many who have looked at that license and it
works for many more.

It is your choice to develop and sell your product, and I applaud that.
In your case GPL is not an option according to your business structure.
For others it makes their business more profitable.