Boot cd

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Thu Jan 19 13:49:14 UTC 2006

At 13:12 19/01/2006, you wrote:

>I'm not trying to be smart-ass, it's just that for many newbies it's a
>completely new concept.  IMO a lot of duplication of effort in helping
>these people could be avoided by making provision for them clearly
>available linked from the download page.
>
>Anne
>--
>Registered Linux User No.293302 (http://counter.li.org/)

Why not just put a file in the same place as the ISO files, called
READ_THIS_FILE_FIRST containing notes for those using windoze to
download and burn for the first time, and also to check that they are
downloading the correct version for their system?

I just looked on the FC4 download server and there's nothing in there
except the iso files and SHA1SUM. How is somebody who's got a PC from
Walmart or wherever pre-installed with XP supposed to have any idea what to do?

On the "Download and Installation Instructions" page, there is a line
that says:-

Note: ISO images are not written to CDs/DVDs the same way as files.

So, thinks the novice XP user, HOW THE HELL DO I write them to CDs?

The Download Now page isn't much help either. I bet if you walked
through any shopping centre anywhere and asked people at random if
their home PC has an i386 type processor 90% wouldn't have a clue.

It shouldn't be necessary to join a mailing list just to find out how
to burn the installation CDs, yet ever since I joined the same
questions keep being asked over and over again. Surely by now we can
take the hint and make it easier?

Dave Fletcher