Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 18:37:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 05:58, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >Very good example.  What kind of community is it that can't
> >be bothered to respin the official isos once in a while so the
> >known-broken install on certain hardware gets fixed and the user
> >that manages to install isn't immediately faced with a gig of
> >update downloads just to get started?
> >
> Nobody stopped anyone from doing the work involved. In fact it was
> already done before. http://fedora.isphuset.no/

I don't see how you reconcile 'not stopping someone else' with
being a community effort.  How does this help a new user
coming to the fedora web site downloading their first copy
long after the fix has been done?  At best it only helps
people who read the mail list before their first download
(probably none...).

Whenever the issue has come up, I've always tried to point
out the k12ltsp versions that not only included updates
in the respins but add a lot of value with extra programs
and one-click links to install some that can't be included.
Have you been in touch with Eric Harrison who builds this
version?  He seems to have a very different opinion about
the difficulty vs. value of building respins whenever someone
reports a problem.  You'd be doing everyone a favor if you
could arrange to mirror his rebuild on the official fedora
site with a big link that says 'Hey - this version is better
for a lot of reasons'.  This is work that is already done
and it is just a matter of embracing it.  As it stands, I
don't think people 'get it' that the k12ltsp version really
is a stock updated fedora plus a few add-ons that don't have to
be installed.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com