How to access to access point again

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 23 12:13:20 UTC 2006

Barry Yu wrote:
>  I have setup the wireless access point and it is working fine, however, I configured it to obtain ip address from DHCP server instead of the default static IP address.
>  Now unless I reset the access point to original factory setting and use a cable to connect to the access point in order to do the settings, is there any way the I could find the new ip address of this access point which dynamically assgned from the DHCP server in the wired network? So I can use the browser to enter into it and do the setting again?

That depends on the brand: Apple's airports announce themselves using
BonJour.

You can find its IP address by resetting it (or cycling its power), and
viewing /var/log/messages on your server.

You can also control the IP address it gets by creating an appropriate
stanza in your DHCP configuration. With a little more skill and
determination you can make different kinds of products get special
treatment:

class "pxeclients"
         {
                 match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0,
9) = "PXEClient";
                 option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";
# At least one of the vendor-specific option must be set.       We set
# the MCAST IP address to 0.0.0.0 to tell the bootrom to still use
# TFTP (address 0.0.0.0 is considered as "no address")
#               option PXE.mtftp-ip 192.168.9.1; vendor-option-space PXE;
                 option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0; vendor-option-space PXE;
                 filename "/PXE/pxelinux.0";
         }

and then
         pool {
                 allow members of "pxeclients";
                 default-lease-time 1800;
                 max-lease-time 3600;
                 range 192.168.9.150 192.168.9.169;
         }

For actual values for your case, snoop on the traffic with tcpdump or
ethereal.

--

Cheers
John