Rodent Rot

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 23 16:26:24 UTC 2006

David Cary Hart wrote:
> Hardware is not one of my proficiencies - and that's an understatement. Simple
> two questions (yes, I searched and remain confused).
>
> I plugged a Logitech USB trackball into my laptop:
>
> 1. Is there any way to program what the middle button does?

If you are asking how to change what the middle button does when
using the GUI, it depends on the window manager. With KDE, this is
controlled by LookNFeel --> Behavior.

> 2. Is there some way of disabling the laptop's touch-pad?

The touchpad can probably be disabled in the BIOS. There may also
be an option to disable the touch-pad when you have another mouse
plugged in. (This may only work when using a PS/2 mouse.)

It should also be possible to use hotplug, udev, or HAL to have
the system ignore the touchpad when the USB mouse is plugged in,
but it will take some research. Basicly, you will need to change
the /dev/mouse symlink when the USB mouse is plugged and unplugged.
I am not sure about the mouse type...

Mikkel