Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 18:12:09 UTC 2006

Hi

>I don't get it.  How else can you evaluate a distribution
>other than comparing it to existing alternatives?

Might happen on individual project needs and contributions. If its a
commercial product it can be based on revenue and customer demands. It
can also be done by establishing new markets through research and so on.

>Yes, but the only way I can make a point is to mention the
>obvious counterexample, like the k12ltsp distribution being
>able to do a respin when needed - even though it is one guy
>and not his real job.

I requested a facilitation since you cite this so often. Would you do that?

>It's the process that matters, not any specific thing. When
>something is broken, don't make users wait for the next release
>for the fix, only to find that a different set of things
>are broken at that point.  The current process lets that
>happen.  The problem is not any specific thing being broken,
>it is the difficulty of obtaining the fix as shown by the
>gig or more of updates you currently would have to download
>after an FC4 install - assuming your hardware works with
>the FC4 installer.

We are already started to work with the people who did the respins. So
if you have anything specific to add on that, mail me off list.

>The issues have already been covered.  Respin the isos after any
>installer issue is fixed and whenever some reasonable threshold
>of updates have accumulated - like 500M.

Anybody could do that. The project would do whatever it can to enable
this to happen.

> Make a test drive
>version, whether live CD

Live CD effort is in progress

> or vmware

VMware will not be supported or used in Fedora.

>When rolling support to legacy, update the yum config so
>security updates continue for administrators who are not
>tracking the change.

Effort in progress again.

> The common thread here: make it easier
>and more attractive for new people to participate.

We need specific responses to the development list instead of random
user discussions if you want to help make an impact. Thanks

--
Rahul