Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 23 19:16:24 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 09:06, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 07:59, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> On 1/23/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'll believe it when I see improvements in the user install
>> > process that match or surpass other distributions.
>>
>> fedora doesn't match or surpass the install process of slackware?
>
>Interesting comparison.  I stopped using slackware as soon
>as another distro became easier to use.  I think it was
>RedHat 4.x that was the first thing that had a fair chance
>of installing automatically on a variety of hardware from
>the CDs.  I don't see a lot of reason for brand loyalty in
>the world of free software.

And thats where I have to pipe up Les.  Each of all these competing
distros would like to be able to carve out enough of a niche in this
thing that they can make a living selling the services that inevitably
open up as a market when someone who isn't intimately familiar with
both the hardware, and the nuances of a missing } in some C code
installs this thing called linux because he's heard its better than
Winderz from his friends.

RedHat has done the best job of that so far, but SuSe has made some
truely great strides in the last 3 years too from what I read on the
net.  But don't denigrate the efforts of Pat at Slackware, or the other
one? man show just 50 miles north of me in Morgantown WV, Mepis.  Pat
has continued on at a pace thats been hard on his health, simply
because he is a believer.

One of the things that sells a distro to Joe Sixpack, is the enthusiasm
of a satisfied user he knows and drinks beer with.  In fact, at the
onsies and twosies level, its probably the single most important factor
to the Joes of this world.

You are not showing any brand loyalty when you make a statement like
that, and are simply saying up front that you will take the best deal
"as long as its free".  Thats not a particularly pleasant image when
others view it.

Its certainly not an image I want to project in front of myself.  I can
irritate folks quite well without that, as I've proved here a couple of
times, but I'm still here, cause like Calahans Bar, its the best place
to be and I know it.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: