Mplayer & realplayer

Boris Glawe boris at boris-glawe.de
Mon Jan 23 22:52:42 UTC 2006

Ken Stevens wrote:

>Hi y'all,
>
>Two related questions: Is realplayer in a repository somewhere? Also,
>where can I find the codecs for mplayer to understand realplayer files?
>

>Thanks, Ken

You find the codecs here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Download the "essentials" packages. Unzip the content of the package
into /usr/lib/win32 (you'll have to create this directory before).
mplayer will find the codecs at this place.

I'd also recommend to try xine. The user interface is more intuitive.
Both mplayer and xine use the codecs from /usr/lib/win32 by default.

greets Boris