Fedora 4 installation via floppy

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 25 17:59:46 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 03:42, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>>I think that this is because most people (i.e. other than those that
>>>need to look after legacy systems without USB) now use a USB stick for
>>>that purpose since it's faster and generally more reliable than
>>>floppies.
>>
>>You may be right. But a stick wears out, and costs a lot more.
>

> Watch for closeouts/rebates on the older small ones.  Also,

The cheapest I've seen is $30 or so (perhaps as low as $20
for a really *small* USB FLASH stick).

> if you have a USB adapter for compact flash or SD cards you
> can use an old card from a camera that you've replaced with
> something larger.  It really is faster and easier to NFS

Don't have any digital cameras, and not likely to want to get
any. But that's a good idea for those who have them.

> export the iso images and boot from USB instead of
> having to burn and swap CDs or use floppies (even if they
> worked).

I'm not talking about installs. For many MB of data, I use
either some sort of real network (like even e-mail)
or CDs. But when I need to move < 5M or so, a floppy is
ideal.

Not all my machines even *have* USB ports on them. Or
ethernet ports. Three of my machines run straight MSDOS.

In any case, FLASH EEPROM does not seem like a good solution
to me. I don't own any FLASH sticks.

But your conjecture is probably right.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.