hosts.deny script

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 26 23:49:31 UTC 2006

Steven J Lamb wrote:
> I am trying to create a script to block people using hosts.deny. I
> realize that I should just block everyone and then open access for those
> whom I know I trust but because of the nature of our network this is not
> possible. basically I check log files for login attempts every five
> minutes and block those that attempt to log in more than 3 times that
> day.

This is too late. An automated attack may well be completed in this
window of time.

Instead, use another port as a door-knock: when someone tries to connect
to <some port>, then allow connexions to ssh for a short time.

For an automated connexion from a remote site, something like this:
echo | nc example.com <some port>
ssh example.com

The nc command is contained in the netcat package.

I think I've seen how to implement this door knock entirely in iptables
recently, but didn't note the details.

--

Cheers
John