FC5 test2 how to configure behavior of hotplug USB mount points?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Jan 27 04:59:28 UTC 2006

I've noticed that hotplugging USB devices into my pc gives me a little
desktop icon, and under "properties" it says it's "Location:" is
"desktop" (Gnome).

The df command shows it's actually mounted on /media/disk.

My other USB device shows up on /media/disk-1.

Is there a way to configure my system such that inserting e2labeled usb
devices (say, "a" and "b") will mount to a specific location (say
"/usb/a" and "/usb/b", respectively) and still give me the Desktop icons?

by hand :
# mount LABEL=a /usb/a
# mount LABEL=b /usb/b

Obviously I will have created the /usb/a and /usb/b mount points.

I want to be able to umount them from the desktop icons.

I've taken a look at autofs and considered creating a "/etc/auto.usb"
file, but I don't see how to make it mount via the e2label.

Do any methods work with both Kde and Gnome, in case I switch desktops?

TIA,
SW