[powersave-devel] Re: Powersave daemon and KPowersave packages available for FC4

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 29 18:31:35 UTC 2006

on 01/29/2006 09:13 AM Holger Macht wrote:

> If you agree, can we we provide the packages built by you for x86_64
> somewhere? Even on your own webspace if you have one or include then in
> the sourceforge files section...
yes I do, see your mail for details

I'm still getting the following error:

Jan 29 00:29:45 localhost [powersave]: ERROR (PM_Interface:89) Haldaemon
not running. Battery or ac adapter information will not be available.
Jan 29 00:29:45 localhost [powersave]: WARNING (ACPI_Interface:49) could
not set battery alarm
Jan 29 00:29:45 localhost [powersave]: ERROR (MainLoop:59) Error setting
up connection to DBus system bus. Aborting...

and probably because of that that the powersave daemon does not start.
Is there any place (file/parameter) I should check? Any suggestions?

>> 3) then I decided to run powersaved as root.
>>
>> # /usr/sbin/powersaved -d
>> goes just fine with no output.
>> gkrellm-powersave works fine (I must point that since I'm using fluxbox
>> then this is the only option for me instead of kpowersave). I can switch
>>  between performance/powersave/dynamic modes, and battery indicator
>> works as well. Also powersave [-xasbBSTr*] works fine and gives a nice
>> output.
>
> Good to hear.
>
>> 4) Thus I decided to try "suspend to ram"
>> but I got the following message:
>> suspend2ram failed on unloading 'ohci_hcd'. Trying to recover...
>
> Some usb device is plugged in that prevents the module to be unloaded I
> think. Please remove all usb devices before suspend and try again. You can
> also try to rmmod the module manually just to see if this works.
the only usb-device I'm using is a mouse, and apparently it does not
matter much because it gives me the same error even with the mouse
unplugged.

# powersave -u
Jan 29 12:33:24 localhost [powersave-prepare_suspend_to_ram][3201]:
WARNING: could not unload module 'ohci_hcd'

I did
# /sbin/rmmod ohci_hcd

after that I got:

Jan 29 12:34:03 localhost [powersave-prepare_suspend_to_ram][3629]:
WARNING: could not unload module 'ohci1394'

and I did:
# /sbin/rmmod ohci1394

The machine went into sleep. But when I tried to wake it up, I got the
same trouble I always had: the system turns into console mode the screen
is black, and the only message is:

Linux
RS480M- TEST BIOS 300/14 BR12240

If i try to perfrom similar manipulations while in runlevel 3 I dont
have to bother myself unloading the modules manually - the machine goes
into sleep just fine. But when it wakes up I'm geting the same message
as before, except one more line

Linux
RS480M- TEST BIOS 300/14 BR12240
Back to C!

Again, no reaction an a keyboard and everything I can is just to reboot
the laptop.

Have anyone had such experience before?

> You might also want to have a look at [1].
> [1] http://powersave.sourceforge.net/powersave/Suspend2Ram.html#Suspend2Ram
Holger, I'm familiar with this. I did a lot of reading trying to find
out what else could be done.

and I have
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ showopts
vga=normal acpi_sleep=s3_bios

in my grub.conf, but it doesn't seem to help.
my laptop is Compaq Presario v2040us

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./