FC4 - SERIOUS problem with GRUB. How can I solve this?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 30 00:55:28 UTC 2006

Hoffmann wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I am totally lost now! I realized (after taking a look
> into my BIOS) that my CD-ROM "is not installed"
> anymore... So, I cannot install Fedora or restore my
> Windows back.
> I would appreciate any help!
> Hoffmann

The only reason that I can think of regarding why your CDROM is not
recognized is because your CDROM is on the same hard drive controller as
your CDROM was. A bad hard drive on the same bus would cause a symptom
like you are seeing.
The other possibility is that your CDROM went bad and this bad device on
the same controller is giving you all of the errors that you are
experiencing.

In the case of a bad hard drive, all you would have is your MS 25 digit
number. You might need to find the discs that came with your computer to
install the OS again. Or whatever you might need to get things working
as you like. You already paid for the OS, so maybe your computer vendor
can get you installed again by providing you your installation medium.

If it is just your CDROM going bad, you can probably get a decent one
and probably better one at a hardware store. Getting it installed might
depend on your knowledge of computer hardware. Anyway, with your BIOS
settings set to allow CDROM booting as a boot device before the hard
drive, you should be alright with installing Linux and having your old
MS installation intact.

You might get off easy and there might only be a loose cable inside your
computer which came loose. You then could do the Fedora install after
securing the connections inside your computer.

You might have other problems inside your computer such as a bad power
supply or other problems such as the main board, hopefully it is not the
board.

Of course if your computer is still under warranty and still covered,
mention the bad CDROM and send it back in if warranty covers items like
that.

One thing great (many more reasons, especially the latest fixing of a
problem with my music jukebox to work without problems in Linux w/
gnomad2) is that you do not need a program to create partitions. You do
need some programs to set aside partitions to use or setup your
alternative OS to not use as much partition space which allows other OS
versions to set up the unallocated space with its own installer.

Jim

--
Some scholars are like donkeys, they merely carry a lot of books.
		-- Folk saying