GNOME won't boot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 1 15:30:51 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 18:51 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> dragontale wrote:
>>> I just woke up from bed and I'm ready.
>> After reading about your use of rpm --nodeps, I suggest in the future
>> you either use
>> yum remove myrpm
>> instead. There are a few occasions where --nodeps is valuable, but
>> mostly it is dangerous.
>> One instance fro reading your post, you have the libglade2-devel package
>> but not libglade.
>> Your system is most likely hosed from all of the occasions where you
>> used rpm -e package --nodeps. To recover, you most likely need to review
>> your history from the terminal and reinstall the packages again.
>
> Here's a way of checking to see if there are any remaining dependency
> issues on your system. You will first need to install the "yum-utils"
> package from Fedora Extras:
>
> # yum install yum-utils
>
> The run this:
>
> # package-cleanup --problems
>
> You'll get a report of any remaining broken dependencies.
>
> Paul.

Thanks for mentioning the problem. I ran the program and the items
checked out OK.
I'm curious what the output would be for liberally using the --nodeps
option on the system. I would not use my system for this test though.

  package-cleanup --problems

Setting up yum
Reading local RPM database
Processing all local requires
No problems found

Jim

--
In specifications, Murphy's Law supersedes Ohm's.