Checking internet connection without a winbox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 17:17:43 UTC 2006

On 02/07/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Run traceroute to various places and note where the delays or
> dropped packets start.  Normally you will see a response from
> every router in the path and the round trip time for three
> packets.  Some may block the ports used or the icmp response
> so a '*' response isn't necessarily a problem, especially
> if it picks up on subsequent hops.  Keep in mind that the
> time is for the round trip and problems can happen in either
> direction.  If you see consistent delays or drops happening
> somewhere, paste the traceroute into an email to your ISP.

Thanks, Les. I started doing mtr, and discovered that the router is
dropping ~2% of the packets, the infrastructure is dropping ~14% of
the packets, and the ISP is dropping ~8% of the packets. all the other
hops are losing between 2% to 10% as well. What values are considered
normal? Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://gmail-com.com