How Do I?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 3 02:19:08 UTC 2006

Eugene Poole wrote:
> First, let me give thanks to all who gave me answers on my xcdroast issue.
>
> This time I don't have a problem, more of a situation.
>
> I currently run FC4 with 2-disk drives, a 80-gig and a 15-gig.  I caught
> a great deal on a 300-gig drive and I want to swap out the 15-gig for
> the 300-gig.  What's on the 15-gig scares me a little:
>    /dev/hdc1      4031 1m blks      /u03 - user data and database files
>    /dev/hdc2      4031 1m blks      /u02 - user data and database files
>    /dev/hdc3      2023 1m blks      swap
>    /dev/hdc5      2023 1m blks      /u04 - user data and database files
>    /dev/hdc6        478 1m blks      /opt
>    /dev/hdc7      1490 1m blks      /var
>    /dev/hdc4                                 standard extended partition
> boundary that covers hdc5, hdc6, and hdc7
>
> Is there a way to do this without having to reinstall FC4?  Where can I
> find the documentation?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sure.  First, install the disk as /dev/hdd, the secondary (slave) drive
on the 2nd cable, s/b the middle plug.  Do this while powered down, and
reboot.

Then run 'fdisk /dev/hdd', and assign, but do not label, a set of
partitions to match the above but with sufficiently different names that
you can readily identify which partition (/dev/hdd7) is var2, and
establish those in the /etc/fstab file using these names.  Size them
roughly in proportion to the /dev/hdc versions but scaled up (except for
the swap and /var2, which need be no bigger than a gig for swap, and
maybe 2 gigs for the second var2), using the space basicly to expand the
user partitions.  Exit fdisk with a w, and rerun it to verify the table,
then quit it again.  Then do the mke2fs on those partitions where its
suitable, and a mkswap on the new /swap.

Now make new /mnt/hdd/$newnames entries to match the ones you added in
/etc/fstab.  Mount each of them to /dev/hdd/$newname, and concoct an
rsync command line to copy each of the existing /dev/hdc partitions to
the new ones on /mnt/hdd/$newname.  I think, but don't take it as
gospel, that rsync -avc /src/path /dest/path is a good starting point.
This will take a while, and the users should be off-duty/locked out by
some means while this is taking place.

Now, before the data changes in /var by more activity, edit /etc/fstab
to remove the extra hdd entries with a comment, power down, remove hdc,
and change hdd to be the master drive and on the end of the cable,
effectively it will become /dev/hdc.  When you power back up, it should
just be there.

--
Cheers, Gene