Checking internet connection without a winbox

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 3 07:53:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 19:11 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> That's a classic symptom of having 2 DNS servers listed in your
> /etc/resolv.conf with only the 2nd one actually working.

When that happens, does it keep on trying the first one first, or carry
on using the one that responded quickest?  I seemed to notice the latter
behaviour.

For instance, I have my own caching name server, with local machine
addresses in it as well.  I also have a router with its own, non
configurable, DNS server.  I had my computers set to use my name server
first, and the router second.  But found that local machines weren't
being resolved, the computers were using the router's name server (which
happens to respond quicker).

I read messages from the public lists.