yum dumb? Re-installes rpms you specifically remove

Matt C msc88 at mscconsult.com
Tue Jul 4 03:00:34 UTC 2006

> yum then fails because it cannot install those modules because it
> cannot install the new kernel.  So I have to go back into
> /etc/yum.conf and exclude some specific versions of those modules.

I'm not that familiar on this subject, but I think it's an unfortunate
necessity of yum's design.

You're effectively telling it to upgrade a module.  But the new version of
the module requires a new kernel.  If the new kernel can't be installed
for any reason, that implies that the module has failed to upgrade, which
is an error.