Lock homepage in firefox for normal users?[Scanned]

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Wed Jul 5 04:49:53 UTC 2006

Chris Mohler wrote:
> Just a thought -
>
> What if you add the URL to the "web browser" command in
> gnome/KDE/etc?  The home page wouldn't be "locked", but every new
> browser would open to that page... The user could still edit it (can
> you "lock" desktop/panel entries?), but it would be less obvious...
>
> Chris
Just a thought, but thinking about how some hotels do it, you might be
able to use a proxy and some cookies to do it. Have a proxy redirect any
request to a certain homepage and then that page gives out a cookie that
validates entry to other sites for the browser's session (at least,
that's how I /think/ hotels do it). If that's not how they do that in
reality, finding out how to actually do it might be a valuable lesson too.

Just a thought,
Justin Willmert