NIS restart issue

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Wed Jul 5 21:42:05 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> writes:

 > Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
 > > I recently had to enable NIS on my FC5 box.  It was rather painful.
 > > Nowhere near as direct and simple as it ought to be.  I'm anxious to
 > > hear how a Fedora guru would go about configuring and running NIS (as
 > > a client) on a box that was not originally configured to do so.
 > >
 > > What I did was somehow discover that running authconfig-gtk would be a
 > > good thing.  This was after I yummed ypbind, configured /etc/ypconf
 > > and started the ypbind service using the services gui tool, which then
 > > proceeded to "hang" (no response other than the wait cursor for many,
 > > many minutes).  Then I disabled selinux and the firewall and still no
 > > joy.  Only after running authconfig-gtk did NIS startup.  So
 > > authconfig clearly knows to do something that I am not aware of.  I
 > > hate when that happens. :-)
 > >
 > > But then my system got rebooted and NIS did not restart even though
 > > the ypbind service was configured to restart.  So I need to figure out
 > > what authconfig knows that I don't know and how to set things up to
 > > have NIS running after a reboot.
 >
 > Do you have portmap running?

Yes it is running now and was running at startup but I did notice the
the authconfig program stopped and restarted portmap before it started
ypbind.  Which is all to say that I still do not understand why ypbind
fails to start on a reboot.  /var/log/messages does not indicate any
problem.  But I can say that when I tried to run:

$ service ypbind start

it did not report any output which is highly unusual.

Something weird is going on ...

-pmr