NIS restart issue

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 5 22:02:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 12:19 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> I recently had to enable NIS on my FC5 box.  It was rather painful.
> Nowhere near as direct and simple as it ought to be.  I'm anxious to
> hear how a Fedora guru would go about configuring and running NIS (as
> a client) on a box that was not originally configured to do so.
>
> What I did was somehow discover that running authconfig-gtk would be a
> good thing.  This was after I yummed ypbind, configured /etc/ypconf
> and started the ypbind service using the services gui tool, which then
> proceeded to "hang" (no response other than the wait cursor for many,
> many minutes).  Then I disabled selinux and the firewall and still no
> joy.  Only after running authconfig-gtk did NIS startup.  So
> authconfig clearly knows to do something that I am not aware of.  I
> hate when that happens. :-)
>
> But then my system got rebooted and NIS did not restart even though
> the ypbind service was configured to restart.  So I need to figure out
> what authconfig knows that I don't know and how to set things up to
> have NIS running after a reboot.
>
> -pmr

Well I have done this on every redhat product up to FC4 and found it
easy to do. But I admit I have not done this on FC5.

Let us assume that you have configured /etc/yp.conf correctly.
And you ran chkconfig --level 35 ypbind on  <--- you did do that.
Then yobind should start on boot.
Did you configure /etc/nsswitch.conf?

When you run ypwhich does it return the name of the server?
What does ypcat paswd return for example?
What about the results of using ypmatch?

As far as I know if you didi a chkconfig for ypbind, ypbind should start
of boot. If it does not start errors should appear in the log to tell
you why it did not start.

The answeres to some of these questions would help idmntify your
problem.a You can run authconfig to do some of these things but it is
not necessary.
Being popular is important. Otherwise people might not like you.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net