Using udev to force mouse to using a particular device

Dee-Ann LeBlanc dee at renaissoft.com
Wed Jul 5 22:29:18 UTC 2006

I need to force the mouse to not switch device names on me while the
computer is running. I figure I will just force it to stick with mouse0,
but I'm leery with experimenting blindly too much with udev on this
since my udev understanding is limited.

I think it would need to be done before any other device can attach to
mouse0 to avoid potential conflicts ... the only other one that should
even try is the tablet, and I've got that pushed onto something else.
Right now I have a standard FC5 udev setup except for the following two
rules.

10-wacom.rules (added by the system):

KERNEL="event*", SYSFS{idVendor}="056a", NAME="input/%k",
SYMLINK="input/wacom%e"

66-optical-mouse.rules:

KERNEL=="mouse[0-9]*", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0040", SYMLINK
+="input/opticalmouse"

What tweaks do I need to make to get the mouse forced to stay on mouse0
instead of jumping around on me?

--
Dee-Ann LeBlanc, Training and writing on Linux and open source
Home: http://www.Dee-AnnLeBlanc.com/