Still no Java

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 05:29:03 UTC 2006

>To be updated...
>
>I installed all of it and it all went fine.  I can run
the java console even.

>This is the third Java install

>I did yum install rpm install jr

>Did the .bin install jre

>and now the unofficial faq install and still no
working Java

>Is this a bug or is there some configuration that
needs to be done with selinux like the 3d problem I
had.

>I followd that exactly and nothing worked to get glx
working until I saw the selinux command on the
unoffical faq and boom I had working 3d

>I am thining something is just stopping it from
working cause it seems to be set  up right.

Hi,

I followed the instructions from here:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

for me I downloaded the JDK version instead of JRE.

At first firefox and mozila have difficulty detecting the plugin. so I
followed the instructions from here:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#java
on SELinux part. Still didn't work.

NOW THE LAST STAGE:
1) I reboot the computer
2) removed the what have been liked to plugin folder

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and

relinked it this time:

3) as root user, open mozilla
# mozilla &

and click about plugins menu or type "about:plugins" in address bar,
you should see the java appears like magic.

4) quit mozilla

5) open firefox as regular user and do the same, you should see the java plugin.

Please don't ask me why it is so coz' I don't know too. I just did
like that and it worked for me.
I am going to ask the same question to the experts in next thread. :-)