kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

Scott R. Godin scott.g at mhg2.com
Thu Jul 6 15:53:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 08:05 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> Don't you think its a tad bit odd, that no one else is reporting this
> mess?  Look at the nvnews forums and see how many people are reporting
> filesystem corruption.  You wont' find any, and there are alot of
> people reporting problems over there.
>
> You stated that you ran memtest86, and it didn't find any problems.
> Did you check all the rest of your hardware?  Maybe your CPU is bad?
> Maybe your disk(s) is failing. Maybe your system is overheating?
> Maybe there was a spike in your electricity?
>
> Screaming fire in a crowded theater when your pants are on fire seems
> a bit ridiculous.

The filesystem corruption I'm experiencing is a result of whatever
wierdness was going on with writes from memory, and possibly swap (not
100% certain) but again, this is what happened *this time* (the fifth
re-install of FC5) -- the four prior re-installs were caused by
completely different problems. the sheer lack of any connecting events
between five reinstalls is considerably annoying. kmod_nvidia is one of
the connecting strings between all these events. I have now eliminated
this thread and am waiting-and-seeing to determine if the problem still
exists. so far, for a month, no sign.

the hard disk is brand spanking new, as is the SATA card. nice try
though. and I, insane skewball that I am, did a low level format and
deep badblocks check of the *brand new* drive, before doing ANYTHING
with it. 250GB drive. took a looooooooong ass time. I'm pretty damned
sure about the drive at this point.

overheating? nope.
stuff wrong with the cpu? highly doubtful.

like I said, it's working fine now, and the only difference at all is
the absence of kmod_nvidia.

filesystem corruption was just one of the many symptoms I experienced.

However, the advice I gave was sound. automatic checking of the
filesystems at boot time is off by default, and as you can see, the
tune2fs manpage does warn that this is probably not a good idea.

additionally running rpm -Va once a week in the wee hours isn't a bad
idea either, if you're bullish on the integrity of the installed
packages.

you could try toning your insulting tone down a bit. I've been very
patient with you about it but you're wearing on my nerves gradually...
If you're trying to get a rise out of me, save it.

*IF* the problems re-occur (and they might, I didn't re-install the
system this time, just recovered via fsck, removed kmod_nvidia, and
reinstalled a few of the badly corrupted essential rpm packages,
although I haven't gotten to everything yet), I'm perfectly willing to
concede that kmod_nvidia is not at fault. This has not yet happened. If
it does, I'll happily investigate further for a real culprit.

So far, the finger still points quite firmly at kmod_nvidia, and it's
becoming increasingly difficult to support any other avenues of
culpability.

It's pure Holmsian deduction: "How often have I said to you that when
you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth?"
http://yoak.com/sherlock/stories/sign_four/sign_of_four.txt

Instead of fingerpointing and arm waving, how about you do something
constructive, and instead of telling me how many people appear to be
running just fine, either _PROVE ME WRONG_ with cold facts, or take
*your* "personal FUD campain" somewhere else. Hm?