FTP install using ISO

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jul 6 17:38:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 04:12:11PM +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have the iso file of FC5 in my FTP server. I want to do an FTP install from
> it. I then use the mount -o loop file.iso command to provide the files for
> installation.
>
> The problem is that it only works for 1 iso file at a time on that particular
> mount point.
>
> Can I mount multiple iso files into one mount point at the same time?
> Thanks.

You should be able to. I usually use NFS rather than FTP, but the
concepts are similar.

I take it you are using the CD isos, rather than the DVD iso. You can
mount the DVD ISO to a mount point in your FTP tree, and use that as
is. For CD ISOs, mount them all, and then run createrepo on the
lot. Do something like:

su -
<enter root's password>
cd /var/ftp/pub
mkdir fc5
cd fc5
<make mount points for CD ISOs>
<mount cds as usual>
createrepo .

The last command will create a directory, repodata. On the
installation machine, point Anaconda to /pub/fc5.

Then, once you have a working installation, make those mount points
(semi-)permanent. Then, set your core repo's base url as follows:

fedora-core.repo

[core]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
#mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
baseurl=ftp://<server>/pub/fc$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

Let us know how that works.