how to avoid spam mail from external network

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 6 20:39:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 16:35 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> You will need to tell people:
> >>
> >> * which mail server software you are running
> >> * which configuration options you have changed from the defaults
> >> * what the spam looks like (with full headers)
> >>
> >> Paul.
> >   The above described information would be interesting but I think the
> > answer is to use spamassassin which comes with the
> > distribution. Instructions for use are on the web and in the file
> > users_prefs.template. Use of procmail to separate the spam and non-spam
> > streams would be useful.
>
> He said his server was *generating* spam mail, which is a
> configuration/security/abuse issue.
>
> SpamAssassin helps with filtering received mail, but not with this type
> of problem. Well, perhaps if SA was used for outbound mail too, but that
> would be partially addressing the symptoms rather than finding a cure.
>
> Paul.

You might be right but I read his whole message differently. In part of
the message he says:
>> the spam mail will come from external globval network

I think this is a difficulty with English problem. I can't quite see how
his mail server could be generating the spam but I guess it is possible.

University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so
small. -- Henry Kissinger
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net