FC5: Wireless and 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 using ipw2200

dpet activecs at activ8.net.au
Thu Jul 6 23:10:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 04:36:47PM +0930, dpet wrote:
>>   I have set up the wireless as eth1. It seems to start normally, and
>> can ping the router. However, after a while it becomes unavailable.
>> When I do a iwlist scan it also produces the following:
>>

>> Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 20
>> of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
>> Some things may be broken...
>>
>> Could this be my problem? I don't know what "driver " it refers to,
or
>> what I should do to fix it.

>I get exactly the same message, and my ipw works just fine and
>dandy. So I don't think that's your problem.

>> I believe I am using v3 firmware.  Any suggestions about this
problem?

>You are. The driver is picky about the firmware version, and refuses
>to run if it doesn't find the version it wants.

>For more information, check your log file, /var/log/messages. Search
>on ipw2200. E.g:

>grep ipw2200 /var/log/messages

>--

	Thanks for your help. I don't seem to see any problem there. Here are
the only four lines produced in messages. I also tried grep with 2915
without any further result.

Jul  7 08:16:07 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
2200/2915 Network Driver, git-1.1.1
Jul  7 08:16:07 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel
Corporation
Jul  7 08:16:08 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless
2915ABG Network Connection
Jul  7 08:16:08 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Detected geography ZZA (11
802.11bg channels, 13 802.11a channels)

	What I find strange is that it drops off almost as a function of time,
rather than at a particular stage.  Nothing is added to messages at that
time.
	Any further suggestions?

dpet
South Australia