Stinkin' little cheapo vid cams

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jul 7 02:26:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 08:05:54PM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> At another site, the author and maintainer of the device drivers for
> webcams said he was quiting. He said that for some of the core
> developers issuing a binary only was too major a sin and that all
> support would have the plug pulled in the kernel. Yeah, I was noting

Sounds like you are talking about the issue with the PWC driver for Phillips
webcams two years ago. It's not that it's a "major sin". It's that it isn't
legally possible. Luckily, this was resolved, and a new maintainer stepped
forward for a reverse-engineered pwc driver.

That's not relevant to this particular camera, though, because as mentioned
earlier, it needs the spca5xx driver.