Cannot boot from SATA drive

Jay Cliburn jacliburn at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 7 02:32:33 UTC 2006

I installed a SATA drive (no RAID, just a single SATA drive) and
installed FC6T1 on it tonight, but my system (Abit AV8) won't boot from
it.  I can configure BIOS to see the drive and elevate its priority in
the boot order, but I get nothing on boot.  At the point I should see
the "grub loading" message, the boot process just hangs with no grub
message displayed.  It's as if there's no master boot record.

I have a single IDE drive (hda) and, now, the single SATA drive (sda)
installed in the system.  For the FC6T1 install, I copied the DVD iso
image onto hda (at /tmp/fc6, to be precise) and installed using the
linux askmethod/hard drive procedure.  Seemed to install fine.

I can still boot from the IDE drive (FC5) after rearranging the boot
device order in BIOS, and from FC5 I can mount the sda1 (/boot) and sda2
(/) partitions.  All the FC6 stuff is present and accounted for in those
partitions.

I've tried disabling hda altogether in BIOS, but it didn't help -- still
no boot from the SATA drive.

Is there a way to determine if a MBR is present on the SATA drive?  Are
there any other things I should try?

Thanks,
Jay