[FC5] how to use public key login for ssh?

Man-Chi Leung manchi.leung+news at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 04:08:31 UTC 2006

hi ,

sorry that I am a newbie to fedora FC5, I used to be in Solaris environment.
i could not configure correctly for public key ssh login as I used to
do in Solaris.

my step:

1) cat my public key and put in my $fedora_user/.ssh/authorized_keys

2) configure fedora's /etc/ssh/sshd_config, uncomment the following 2 lines

PubkeyAuthentication yes
AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys

3) restart sshd with /sbin/service sshd restart  or restart fedora ...

However, ssh login still prompts me for password.....

did i miss anything ? pls help!!

~manchi