VMWare

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 06:54:27 UTC 2006

On 07/07/06, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Yes, they are OT...but what the heck.

Heh, thanks!

> Shall I assume you are running VMWare Workstation 5.5.1 or what?  VMWare
> is the name of the company.  Probably a good idea if you name the product.

Er, sorry for not being specific. I'm running the Player only.

> Windows is your guest OS, right?

Yes. XP Home Edition.

> > 1) How do I connect the Windows installation in VMWare to the internet?
>
> Depends on your network situation.  Probably you will find defining your
> ethernet connection as being type "NAT" is best and use the default
> setting under Windows.

Thanks. I'm not sure what I did, exactly, but it's now funcitoning.

> > 2) How do I connect USB devices to Windows?
>
> That becomes a bit tricky at times.  I don't do it that much.  The issue
> is that the host OS tends to grab the USB device and then you have to
> rmmod to release it.  That doesn't always work.

Er, ok, thanks. I'll google rmmod and see where that takes me.

> > 3) How do I read from CD in Windows?
>
> Disable automounting of CD's on the host and you will simply be able to
> connect your CD drive to the guest OS.

Changed "cdrom-image" to "cdrom-raw" in the config file and the CD
drive now works.

> I've no idea of what you've found about python scripts.  Been  using
> VMWare workstation for 4 years and never saw anything of the sort.
>
> But, the VMWare forums are the best place to talk about VMWware specific
> stuff.

Will post there. I've been reading the forums a bit. Now that I've
only the USB to fix, I just may be able to squeeze by.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://simplesniff.com