mrtg config question

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sat Jul 8 05:25:28 UTC 2006

I just installed mrtg 2.13.2 on FC5 and noticed the sample config file
in /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg

This file has LogDir defined as /var/lib/mrtg

I suppose it doesn't really matter... but is that an error/typo?
Shouldn't logs be kept in /var/log/... ?

I was going to Bugzilla this, but thought I'd get some other opinions
first. :-)

Part 2: (The fun part) :-)

I created a new userid (mrtg) and created a little script to run
cfgmaker and indexmaker, but now I don't know how to run mrtg so it can
produce the graphs etc in /var/www/mrtg...

I suppose I could run mrtg as root... but I hate running stuff as root
if not needed.
Or, how can I grant write permission so the mrtg user can write to
/var/www/mrtg, but not other apache-owned files/directories?

Thanks,
Don